- 12 slices of Nature’s Pride honey wheat bread
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced finely
- 1/2 stick butter
- 5 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp. flour
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel sundae topping
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Using a 2″-3″ circle cookie cutter, cut out circles in the bread. (You can get 2 per slice).
2. Press each circle into a mini muffin pan, making sure it’s pressed well against the edges to form into a good crust. Brush melted butter on the tops of the crusts. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle liberally over the buttered crusts.
3. Bake for 5-8 minutes, until the crusts brown. Allow to cool.
4. To make the apple filling, melt the 1/2 stick butter in a small pot and add apples. Then, add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook down for about 5 minutes on low/med-low heat. Add flour to thicken the sauce and cook another 5 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool until apple filling is just warm.
5. To assemble the bites, add about 2 tsp. of ice cream to each of the crusts (just eyeball it). Add a tsp. of apple filling and then drizzle with caramel sundae topping. Serve immediately.
Yields 24 bites